If you're the average American kid growing up in suburbia in the late 80's and 90's, you likely had your fair share of Mom's meatloaf. The oft loathed food has become a hiss and a byword amongst many of today's youth. Truth be told, I could hardly stomach the stuff for years after one unfortunate incident during my mission. But that story is for another time.... Often people make the mistake of making more of a meat-BRICK than a meat-LOAF. It's not that hard to do. Then there's the flavor profile to contend with. It is not, contrary to common thinking, an easy food to master. I was delighted to learn, shortly after I got married, that my wife makes a pretty dang good meatloaf! For me, I think it's the topping she makes that makes this meal so good.
Write a review
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 1 lb Ground Turkey
- 1/2 C Bread Crumbs
- 3 Eggs
- Seasonings to Taste
- 1 Med Onion, diced and sauteed
- 1/4 C Ketchup
- 1/4 C BBQ Sauce
- 1/4 C Brown Sugar
- 3 Tbsp Mustard
- Mix the meat with the eggs, bread crumbs, seasoning, and onions
- Mix the mustard, ketchup, bbq sauce, and sugar in a separate bowl
- Put the meat mixture in a prepared cupcake pan
- Coat the top of each meat cake with the sauce mixture
- Cook in 325 degree oven until the cakes reach an internal temp of around 165 degrees, usually 45 minutes to an hr.
- This works fine with gluten free breadcrumbs!
Shawn's Food Blog http://recipes.shawnlelle.com/